Thursday, July 16, 2009

Peavy expects to return in four weeks

Jake Peavy received encouraging news from a Padres doctor this afternoon and talked excitedly of pitching again in August.

"I think I'll be back pitching in four weeks," Peavy said. "I'm going by what the doctors told me."

"It actually went very well -- more encouraging than I expected," said Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod.

Peavy walked out of Scripps Clinic without a walking boot, then performed exercises at Petco Park. He had been in a walking boot since mid-June because of a damaged tendon in his right ankle. A negative report today could have moved Peavy toward surgery.

Brring a setback, Peavy said he expects to pitch in simulated games, then pitch for the Padres by late August.

Peavy, who last pitched on June 13, told Axelrod that if his physical rehab goes well, he expects to return to the Padres without going to the minors.

"His ankle, according to him, was worse five weeks ago when he pitched and went seven innings," Axelrod said. "He goes, 'I don't need rehab. Why would I rehab (in the minors)? If I get this thing to where I feel good and can build my shoulder back up, I can go five or six innings right here.' That's Jake. If it's possible, Jake will do it.

"He's going to be anxious to move ahead. He's been going nuts. He's Mr. Optimist. He's been telling me, it's going to be better."

In late May, Peavy nixed a trade to the White Sox, who offered four pitchers for him. Peavy said he hurt the ankle two days later -- on May 22 -- rounding third base. He pitched in three more games, then was put into a cast.

Peavy is 6-6 with a 3.97 ERA this year.


Tom Krasovic

No comments:

Post a Comment